Support | Solutions | Professional Advancement
Reports To: Head of School and Head of the Upper School
Position Type: Half-Time, Faculty, Exempt
Established in 1920, Bentley School is a K-12 coeducational, independent day school located on two campuses in Oakland and Lafayette, California. Bentley is an inclusive community that shares a vision of transformative learning and respect for the individual. Bentley seeks a half-time Health and Wellness teacher at the Upper School campus in Lafayette.
Candidates should be able and eager to teach health and wellness education, which offers an overview of health issues that are relevant to adolescents in high school and throughout their lives. The focus of the health and wellness curriculum is to promote knowledge of health-related topics and one’s ability to make personal choices that result in healthy behaviors. This class explores health holistically, including mental, social, spiritual, emotional, and physical wellness. Topics covered in this course include personal decision-making, stress management, sleep, depression, managing moods, alcohol, drugs, contraceptives, STIs, media literacy, gender and sexuality, healthy relationships, and communication.
Responsibilities for this position include but are not limited to:
● Teaching up to three sections of a trimester-long health and wellness education course to students in grades 10-12
● Regular consultation with Bentley’s K-12 Director of Counseling to identify specific curricular needs around health and wellness in the Upper School
● Presenting to Bentley parents and guardians about trends in the field and about adolescent development regarding health and wellness
● Advising a club or co-curricular program to enhance the overall student experience
● Experience teaching or working with high school students
● A background in health and wellness education
● Ability and willingness to work with students in large and small group settings using multiple teaching methods to reach a broad range of students
● Desire to continually examine one’s practice with the goal to improve student learning
● Commitment to issues of diversity, leadership, inclusion, and equity. Candidates who reflect the broad range of diversity of the Bay Area are encouraged to apply
● Bachelor’s degree required in a health-related field
● A passion for working with young people
● A desire to collaborate in a dynamic community of teachers
● Excellent interpersonal, writing, and communication skills
● Experience working with high school or college-age students in an academic setting
● Experience in innovative course design, planning, implementation, and assessment
Bentley is an equal opportunity employer and seeks rich diversity among faculty and administration. The School offers competitive compensation and benefits.
How to Apply
Please email letter of interest, CV/resume, and a statement of teaching philosophy that addresses both your approach to working with students and your approach to classroom practices. A list with the names and contact information of three (3) references should also be included. Materials may be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org. Include Health Teacher in the subject line. No phone calls please.