Support | Solutions | Professional Advancement
Reports to: Director of External Relations
Position Type: Full Time; Staff; Exempt
Established in 1920, Bentley School is a K-12 co-educational, independent day school located on two campuses in Oakland and Lafayette. Bentley is an inclusive community that shares a vision of academic achievement through transformative learning and a deep respect for the individual. Bentley seeks a qualified individual to serve as Director of Alumni Relations and Special Events. The Director of Alumni Relations and Special Events will work as a member of a collaborative Advancement and Communications team to build a robust, supportive, connected alumni community, a range of events for parents, alumni, donors and the broader School community, and other related duties as needed. This individual will also be an integral member of the Centennial Committee in preparation for the Centennial Celebration in 2020.
Responsibilities for this position include, but are not limited to:
· Developing thoughtful program with the Director of External Relations including a class representative program to engage alumni in alumni events and facets of school life.
· Working closely with College Counseling team, school leaders, and teachers to bring alumni into students’ lives through college tours, senior internships, Town Meeting presentations, or class visits that inspire students, enhance learning, provide exposure to the world beyond the classroom, and create meaningful ties between alumni and students.
· Overseeing alumni relationships and records in the database, ensuring current contact information, class notes, and notes on alumni invitations and attendance for specific events is current and correct.
· Facilitating ongoing conversations via email and social media, updating contact information, and researching prospective alumni to engage using LinkedIn, Facebook, and other resources.
· Gathering and editing alumni class notes and author stories of alumni success to share in print and digital publications and formats.
· Serving as lead organizer for events including Distinguished Lecture events, donor receptions, alumni and alumni parent events, Grandparents and Grand Friends Day, the Annual Gala (in collaboration with Director of External Relations and Gala Chair), and other events.
· Creating and maintaining event plans, vendors, facilities, and timelines to coordinate responsibilities and work with colleagues across both campuses.
· Managing events from start to finish, including invitations, vendor management, facilities and A/V needs, budget, registration, all promotion on web site, e-communications, and social media, and event close-out, as appropriate.
· Collaborating with colleagues to identify event goals and enhancing the effectiveness of events in planning and implementation.
· Bachelor’s degree
· Minimum of three years of experience in alumni relations and events management
· Excellent oral and written communication skills
· Ability to be highly confidential in handling sensitive personal and institutional knowledge
· Self-starter who can plan, execute, and evaluate projects independently as well as collaborate in a school and team environment
· Fluency in Microsoft applications, Google applications and social media tools required
· Experience with Raisers Edge or a similar donor database preferred
· Ability to work flexibly as the need arises
· Familiarity with independent schools, particularly in the Bay Area helpful.
Bentley is an equal opportunity employer and seeks rich diversity among faculty and administration. The School offers competitive compensation and benefits.
How to Apply Please email letter of interest and CV/resume that address your interest in education and Bentley. A list with the names and contact information of three (3) references should also be included. Materials may be sent to email@example.com. Include “Director of Alumni Relations and Special Events” in the subject line. No phone calls please.