Support | Solutions | Professional Advancement
Reports to: Middle School Head
Position Type: Full-time, Faculty, Exempt
Established in 1920, Bentley School is a K-12 co-educational, independent day school located on two campuses in Oakland (K-8) and Lafayette (9-12) California. Bentley is an inclusive community that shares a vision of academic achievement, balance, and the cultivation of character. Bentley School seeks a dynamic math teacher for grades 6-8 at the Middle School Campus in Oakland for 2018-19 school year.
Responsibilities for this position will include, but are not limited to:
● Planning and teaching middle school mathematics classes, with a goal of developing skills and content knowledge
● Leading an advisory group
● Attending faculty meetings
● Participating in the admissions process
● Attending school events
● Collaborating with K-12 mathematics faculty
● Proctoring study hall and various supervisory duties during select recess and/or lunch periods
● Degree in Mathematics and/or a related field that requires significant coursework in Mathematics, an advanced degree (e.g., M.A., M.S., or Ph.D.) in Mathematics and/or a related field that requires significant coursework in Mathematics preferred
● A desire to work with young people
● A passion for collaborating with a vibrant teaching community
● Excellent interpersonal, writing, and communication skills
● Experience working with middle or high school students in an academic setting
● Experience in innovative course design, planning, implementation, and assessment.
● Experience in an interdisciplinary environment with an emphasis on group collaboration and use of technology
● Ability and willingness to work with students in large and small group settings using multiple teaching methods to reach a broad range of students
● Desire to continually examine one’s practice with the goal to improve student learning
● Commitment to issues of diversity, leadership, inclusion, and equity. Candidates who reflect the broad range of diversity of the Bay Area are encouraged to apply.
Bentley is an equal opportunity employer and seeks rich diversity among faculty and administration. The School offers competitive compensation and benefits. Please email a letter of interest, CV/resume, and a list with the names and contact information of three (3) references to firstname.lastname@example.org. Include “MS Math Teacher” in the subject line. No phone calls please.