Support | Solutions | Professional Advancement
Curtis School is a coeducational day school located in Los Angeles, CA, serving approximately 500 students in grades DK-6. The mission of Curtis School is to provide a well-rounded educational experience that will prepare students to pursue confidently the journey of their lives. The campus is situated on 27 beautiful acres in West Los Angeles with 14 buildings, two soccer fields, a baseball diamond, a swimming pool and outdoor courts.
The Facility Services Manager reports to the Director of Facilities. This is a full-time position. Normal working hours are 7:00am-3:30pm. This position will be exempt and requires occasional weekend and after hours work when necessary.
Basic Description of Duties:
● The Facility Services Manager serves as the team leader for the maintenance department, including housekeeping and janitorial services, grounds and landscape maintenance, building maintenance and small renovations, and vendor management for subcontracted services and vehicles
● Monitoring and controling facilities budgets and regularly reporting to Director of Facilities
● Purchasing of materials and equipment
● Providing inventory management and control
● Providing all the set-ups for special events and day-to-day meetings and activities
● Being involved in the hiring of temporary or outside employees and consultants/vendors
The essential duties and responsibilities of this position include, but are not limited to, the following:
● Supervise, coach and counsel daytime staff and coordinate nighttime workload with the Evening Plant Manager
● Be responsible for the maintenance and management of the campus, landscaping, equipment, systems (electrical, irrigation, alarms, sewer, fire, etc.), pool and all other aspects of the school’s physical plant
● Optimize Facilities crew work task assignments to meet key priorities and maintain efficient work flow.
● Ensure quality and efficiency of housekeeping, custodial services, and event set-up
● Ensure facilities and equipment meet all federal, state, and local standards and regulations
● Maintain all safety systems, including AED’s and all of the fire extinguishers on campus
● Maintain the Head of School’s house
● Follow effective business management practices through proper planning and budgeting of operating and capital expenses, cost containment, plant information management, major furniture and equipment procurement, competitive bid letting, processing of invoices, materials management and risk management awareness. Computerize maintenance management operations is applicable.
● Review the condition of classrooms and offices with teachers and staff on an annual basis for improvement and repairs
● Be responsible for hiring, training and evaluating the workforce in the maintenance department
● Ensure that the master calendar and all of it set-ups are performed including but not limited to; Fair, Winter and Spring Concerts, Emerging Artists, Grandparents Day, Book Spree, Sports Night, Graduation, and all the daily set-ups. Coffees, PA and Board Meetings etc.
● Periodically review and develop plans to upgrade the plant, in order to ensure a high quality and appropriate working and learning environment.
● Set annual departmental goals to strengthen the procedures, policies, staff training, planning and evaluation components of the program
● Be proactive, responsible and thoughtful in addressing plant concerns
● Serve as an emergency contact and be “on call” 24-7 in the event of a facility emergency
● Be responsible for safety protocols and instruction in personnel safety, including use of ladders, lifting techniques, etc.
● Order all materials for the housekeeping team, including plastic bags, paper towels, tissues, and toilet paper
● Extra duties may include carpool and lunchtime responsibilities
● Participate in the life of the school
● Attendance/Punctuality – Is consistently at work and on time
● Customer Service – responds promptly and courteously to customer needs. Problem solver with a high degree of diplomacy
● Ethics – Treats people with respect; works with integrity and ethically upholds organizational values
● Oral/Written Communication – Excellent writing and verbal communication skills; ability to speak effectively before groups of parents or employees of organization. Second language (Spanish) is a plus
● Planning/Organizing – Prioritizes and plans work activities; uses time efficiently
● Professionalism – Treats others with respect and consideration regardless of their status or position
● Safety and Security – Observes safety and security procedures; reports potentially unsafe conditions, maintains safety records and MSDS Sheets
● Teamwork – Ability to work independently and in teams; contributes to building a positive team spirit
● Comfortable with technology and able to implement new systems and procedures to improve efficiency
● Bachelor’s degree in facilities management or equivalent preferred
● 5-7 years of relevant experience in an educational, non-profit or corporate campus environment
● Minimum 5-10 years of full-time experience managing physical plant operations of a multi-building facility, HVAC central plant environment of a large multi complex facility.
● Minimum 10 years’ experience in increasing supervisory capacities
● Construction project management experience a plus
● Knowledge of computer applications related to departmental job functions; must be proficient in utilizing MS Office programs (i.e., Word, Excel, PowerPoint, (school dude) and have a willingness to learn new technologies
● Problem solver who has the ability to remain calm under pressure and react quickly and efficiently in cases of emergency.
● Willingness to work varied hours, depending upon the flow of events on campus (i.e., weekends, evenings)
● California Driver’s License, Live Scan, TB Clearance, CPR/First Aid Certified
This list is representative of those duties and responsibilities that are required of this position. However, this list is not to be considered all-inclusive. The Director of Facilities, COFO, or Head of School may assign other duties to meet the mission requirements of the school.
Submit resumes to norr@Curtisschool.org