Support | Solutions | Professional Advancement
Reports To: Reports to Associate Head of School
Position Type: Full-Time; Faculty; Exempt
Established in 1920, Bentley School is a K-12 co-educational, independent day school located on two campuses in Oakland and Lafayette. Bentley is an inclusive community that shares a vision of transformative learning and respect for the individual. Bentley seeks a full-time K-8 Counselor at the Hiller Campus in Oakland.
Responsibilities for this position include, but are not limited to:
● Providing limited counseling services to students and families seeking (voluntary) support.
● Providing follow-up support (case management) to students and their families.
● Identifying potential crises before they arise and implement programs to address problems before they occur.
● Providing crisis intervention including assessment and clinical support for students (and their families).
● Assessing when students need ongoing psychotherapy or mental health services outside of school and collaborate with outside services to increase functioning at school.
● Supporting the normal growth of students as they mature.
● Assisting faculty, staff, and parents in their understanding of K-8 students as a way of providing support for teaching and administration in a school setting.
● Liaising with the puberty education teacher who instructs students in grades 5-8.
● Providing outside counseling and mental health referrals to students and families as determined by the family’s need or through counselor evaluation, including consultation with outside providers as necessary.
● Serving as a consultant to faculty and administrators as related to individual students and issues.
● Maintaining excellent organizational skills including: keeping accurate notes, records, and statistics of visits and other services provided to Bentley’s standards.
● Meeting regularly with the Lower (K-5) and Middle School (6-8) Directors to keep them apprised of trends on campus, individual students of concern, and to respond to needs/concerns of the School.
● Upholding legal and ethical obligations associated with the role of counselor in a school setting, most especially those upholding confidentiality laws and issues of reporting.
● Frequently liaising with Learning Support staff to collaborate regarding care for students with combined social-emotional and learning differences/accommodation needs.
● Creating social support groups on campus for students in need of connection and social skill building combining art therapy, play therapy and other theoretical modalities.
● Helping students to navigate normal developmental challenges and difficulties.
● Master’s or Doctoral Degree in Counseling Psychology, Clinical Psychology, School Psychology, or substantially related field.
● Previous counseling at an independent school is strongly preferred.
● Must posses a current license as Psy.D., Ph.D., MFT, PCC or MSW to practice in the State of California. Internship/Apprenticeship will not be considered.
● Direct experience working with and supporting Kindergartners through eighth graders and their families for at least 5 years, preferably with 2+ years of school counseling experience.
● Knowledge of laws, regulations and ethical guidelines relating to delivery of mental health services in the school setting (by training, study or experience, e.g., Pupil Services Credential, MFT, PCC, PsyD, etc.).
● Proven experience as a teacher or public speaker with children and adults.
● Ability to effectively and diplomatically communicate in difficult situations and/or conversations, with students, parents, teachers, and administrators, ensuring student and community safety is paramount and that all involved parties are respected.
Bentley School is an equal opportunity employer and seeks rich diversity among faculty and administration. The School offers competitive compensation and benefits.
How to Apply
Please email letter of interest, resume, and the names and contact information of three references to: email@example.com Include “K-8 Counselor” in the subject line. No phone calls please.