Support | Solutions | Professional Advancement
Job Title: Controller
Reports to: Director of Finance and Operations
Status: Full Time, Exempt
About San Francisco Friends School:
The San Francisco Friends School, founded in 2002, is a Quaker K-8 school located in the Mission district of San Francisco. An ideal candidate for this position would be compelled by the Friends school mission, which includes an exemplary education supported by a community dedicated to peaceful problem-solving, collaborative decision-making, service to others, simplicity, respect for the individual and silent reflection. For more information about San Francisco Friends School or Quaker education, please visit our website at www.sffriendsschool.org or The Friends Council on Education at www.friendscouncil.org.
The Controller is responsible for the day to day management of the accounting operations and fiscal policies and procedures of the school insuring that strong internal controls and effective transaction processing routines protect the assets of the school and result in meaningful and timely financial reporting and compliance with GAAP and other external requirements and regulations that may apply. The Controller assists the DFO on financial analysis, banking, budgeting and risk management. The Controller is a key member of the four person Business Office, and works closely with faculty, staff, parents, and Board members to meet the school’s strategic goals.
· Manages the accounting systems of the school, including general ledger, accounts receivable/payable, payroll, fixed asset ledger, depreciation and other related accounting functions. Responsible for all journal entries, accruals, reconciliations and closings of all accounts.
· Provides accurate and timely management and financial reporting as required by the Board and external agencies.
· Monitors the annual operating budget. Identifies and analyzes variances and develops appropriate solutions and/or recommendations.
· Manages bank accounts, cash, and related assets of San Francisco Friends School, including monthly reconciliations and recording interest, dividends, gains and losses.
· Develops, documents and maintains appropriate accounting and financial procedures, including effective and thorough use of accounting package (Blackbaud). Serves as accounting software in-house expert, attending trainings and maintaining the system.
· Coordinates with the HR Assistant on payroll, benefits tracking and related items ensuring payroll/benefits are accurately accounted for in the accounting systems.
· Provides leadership and guidance to the Accounting Assistant who supports selected activities including accounts payable and after school program billing.
· Coordinates with the Development office to ensure all gifts and pledges are accurately accounted for (restricted/unrestricted assets, endowment fund etc).
· Member of the Adjusted Tuition Committee evaluating family applications for aid. Handles AT judgements in keeping with Quaker values and with strict confidence.
· Provides timely financial reporting for the Horizons program in-residence and the SFFS Parents Association (quarterly).
· With the Director of Finance and Operations prepares government and other filings; insures compliance with applicable laws, regulations, GAAP, professional standards and internal policies.
· With the Director of Finance and Operations, develops accounting and management policies and procedures to insure adequate financial controls, audit trails and security.
· Works as primary contact with accountants to complete the yearly audit.
· Develop and maintain professional skills through reading and professional development.
· Provides support and information/education to faculty, staff and parents regarding business and accounting questions.
· Actively seeks to incorporate the School’s goals and values in daily work and interactions.
· Support and staff other School events and activities as needed.
· Perform other duties or additional projects as assigned by the Director of Finance and Operations necessary to achieve financial and other goals of the Business Office and school.
Qualifications and Experience:
· Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in accounting or finance from an accredited school/university.
· CPA strongly preferred along with deep familiarity with FASB and Fund accounting.
· At least 5 years of proven relevant experience, preferably in a non-profit/ school setting.
· Outstanding computer and technical skills, including Excel, Microsoft Word and one major accounting system preferably Blackbaud is required.
· Excellent written and oral communication skills.
· Strong interpersonal skills including good judgment, and ability to develop and maintain effective and collaborative working relationships with the diverse SFFS community while maintaining appropriate confidentiality.
· Demonstrated ability to initiate and complete multiple tasks on time with competing priorities and deadlines. Solutions oriented, efficient and resourceful, able to work independently. Outstanding attention to detail required with a critical eye to spot errors/inefficiencies.
· Desire to be a part of a collaborative team committed to supporting Quaker education.
San Francisco Friends School offers competitive salary and benefits including fully paid medical, dental and vision insurance for employees, retirement matching plan and generous vacation/holiday calendar.
If you are interested in applying for this position, please email a resume and thoughtful cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Kim Plough, Director of Finance and Operations
San Francisco Friends School
250 Valencia Street
San Francisco, CA 94103
Cover letters and resumes should be sent in PDF format. Please title your documents as seen below:
Last name, First name_ Cover letter
Last name, First name_ Resume
In your cover letter, please note how many years you have been working with Blackbaud. Due to the volume of applications we receive, documents not sent in the above format will not be considered.